Brochure Type: 2020 Europe & Britain Preview
Embark on a journey of cosmopolitan cities, picture-book towns and breathtaking natural scenery, as you explore iconic highlights of Bavaria, cruise beneath the fairy-tale castles of the Rhine and watch skilled clockmakers in action in the Black Forest.
- Rothenburg ob der Tauber: Learn about the history of the tradtional Schneeballen pastry from an artisan baker, followed by a tasting.
- Rothenburg ob der Tauber Select one of Rothenburg's excellent restaurants, each with its own distinctive ambience and cuisine, for your Dine-Around Evening. They're everything from local Franken specialities to international comfort food to choose from.
- Villingen-Schwenningen: Savour a delicious Farm-to-Table dinner in the scenic Black Forest region, famous for its culinary delights.
- Mainz: Take a seat on the terrace for stunning views of the Rhine. Tantalise your taste buds and toast to the culmination of your Germanic journey during a sumptuous Celebration Dinner complete with all the trimmings and served with wine.
- Dining Summary: 9 Breakfasts (B) and 4 Dinners with Wine (DW) all with tea or coffee.
- Black Forest: Watch skilled artisans at work and learn about the history and ancient techniques of clock-making.
- Rothenburg: Located in the historic centre of medieval Rothenburg, the Hotel Eisenhut consists of four patrician houses from the 12th and 18th centuries, furnished with select antiques and original artworks.
- Oktoberfest: Strap on your Lederhosen for a visit to the world's greatest Volksfest in Munich on select departures.
- Berlin: Our Local Expert will show you some of the main highlights of this historic city as you travel along along the Unter den Linden, including the Memorial Church, Tiergarten, the Reichstag building, Brandenburg Gate, Humboldt University, State Opera and Museum Island.
- Dresden: Explore with your Local Expert and see the Frauenkirche, 'The Procession of the Dukes' mosaic mural on the Royal Palace, the cathedral, Semper Opera House and Zwinger Palace.
- Munich: See the university, Victory Arch, Marienplatz and the Town Hall and Glockenspiel.
- Neuschwanstein: Visit the archetypal fairytale castle that allegedly inspired many of Walt Disney's castles. Led by a local historian, walk through the magnificent halls, take in the lavish decoration and enjoy spectacular views.
- Wies: Stop to marvel at the opulent interior of the Wieskirche.
- Oberammergau: Explore the town and see the theatre where the Passion Play has been performed since 1634 and the next performance will be in 2020.
- Lindau: Cross the causeway to this delightful island town in the middle of Lake Constance.
- Villingen-Schwenningen: Enjoy an orientation of this quaint town which has existed for 1,200 years and was under Austrian lordship through the Middle Ages.
- Nuremberg: See the city walls and tour the Old Town with its charming stone and timbered dwellings.
- Rothenburg ob der Tauber: Explore the most well-preserved medieval town in Germany.
- Heidelberg: Venture inside the magnificent castle built in red sandstone, overlooking the Student Prince's town. See the massive Heideleberg Tun built into the cellar in 1591, visit the Apothecary Museum and enjoy panoramic views of Heidelberg and the Neckar Valley.
- Heidelberg: Explore one of Germany's most enchanting cities during your orientation with your Travel Director.
- Mainz: Your Travel Director leads you an on orientation of the city.
- Rhine Valley: Cruise beneath the semi-ruined castles and terraced vineyards. Sleepy villages slip by as you saunter upstream to the Lorelei Rock where the enchantress lured sailors to their doom.
- Koblenz: See the Deutsches Eck Monument and enjoy the scenic vistas from the Niederwald Monument.
- Scenic Drives: Travel along part of the Romantic Road and pass the Bavarian Alps, continue along the Alpine Road, through the Black Forest, along the German Clock Route and pass the Neckar Valley.
- Our highly-skilled Travel Director will ensure your journey is seamless, serving as your expert guide, consummate organiser, and friend overseas.
- Enjoy the comfort of Insight's luxury, air-conditioned, 40-seat coach with double the standard legroom and onboard washroom.
- Personal radio headsets give you the freedom to wander during visits to famous highlights, without missing any of your Local Expert's fascinating commentary.
- We carry your bags for you and promptly deliver them to your hotel door.
- Hotel and restaurant tips are included - you'll never have to worry about how much to give, nor search for foreign currency. We also include all taxes and porterage charges at hotels.
- Stay connected with friends and family with our complimentary coach and hotel Wi-Fi (where available).
- From time to time, your Travel Director will enchant you with an Insight Flourish, which is a local specialty representing the destination.
- If your arrival and/or departure flights are as per the itinerary start and end dates, then transfers are available at scheduled times. If your flights are outside these times, or you have booked additional nights accommodation with Insight Vacations, you may purchase transfers or make your own way from/to the airport.
Call (281) 438-1139 for more information or to book today! Mention code 14607636
- Tour Operator
- Insight Vacations
- Offer valid through 12/31/2019
- 10 Days
- Escorted - Yes
|Day 1||Berlin||Welcome to Berlin.: On arrival at Berlin's Tegel Airport, transfers to your hotel depart at 10:30 and 12:30. In the afternoon, perhaps visit the KaDeWe department store - the shopping centre of West Berlin which during 40 years of division, became the shop window of the West. At 17:30, join your Travel Director and travel companions for a Welcome Dinner with wine, at a local restaurant. (Dinner with Wine)|
Sofitel Berlin Kurfuerstendamm.
|Day 2||Berlin||The Spirit of Berlin.: Join a Local Expert to see some of Berlin's many highlights. Travel along the Ku'Damm to the Memorial Church. Drive through the Tiergarten to see Norman Foster's glass dome that crowns the reconstructed Reichstag building. Continue past the Brandenburg Gate, a symbol of the reunification, and down along the Unter den Linden, past the Humboldt University and State Opera. Stop on Museum Island before enjoying an afternoon at leisure in this once divided city. Perhaps take the opportunity to visit the glorious palace of the Prussian Kings at Potsdam? (Breakfast)|
Hotel Bristol, Berlin.
|Day 3||Dresden||Dresden, a Baroque Phoenix on the Elbe.: In Dresden, join your Local Expert to see the splendours of the city. From the Frauenkirche, which has risen again from the destruction of World War II, walk past 'The Procession of the Dukes', a mosaic of colossal proportions on the Royal Palace facade. See the enormous cathedral, Semper Opera House and Baroque Zwinger Palace. (Breakfast)|
Vienna House QF Dresden.
|Day 4||Munich||The Bavarian Capital of Munich.: Enjoy the German countryside as you cross the Danube to reach fun-loving Munich where an orientation with your Travel Director will show you the university, Victory Arch and the Marienplatz, where crowds gather at the Town Hall to watch the antics of the Glockenspiel. At night, perhaps consider dinner at one of Munich's famous 'Bier Kellers'? (Breakfast)|
Pullman Munich Hotel.
|Day 5||Oberammergau||The Jewels of the Bavarian Alps.: Today you will stop at Neuschwanstein, a fairy-tale castle spectacularly perched on an Alpine mountainside. Visit King Ludwig II's favourite castle, which was supposedly the inspiration for many of Walt Disney's castles. Admire the exuberantly decorated apartments, including the Throne Room and Lohengrin Grotto. Continue along part of the Alpine Road amid beautiful scenery to the Wieskirche, a masterpiece of Bavarian Rococo. Venture onto Oberammergau in the Bavarian Alps, home of the famous Passion Play, which dates back to 1634. See the immense theatre and colourfully painted chalets. (Breakfast)|
Hotel Alte Post/Hotel Wittelsbach, Oberammergau.
|Day 6||Lorrach||Lindau on Lake Constance and into the Black Forest.: Travel through lush, rolling dairy country to Lindau, an island situated in the middle of Lake Constance, connected to the mainland by a causeway. Stroll through the narrow streets past old inns and half-timbered houses, to admire the fantastic backdrop of the Swiss and Austrian Alps across the lake. Take a delightful drive along the shores of Lake Constance, lined with orchards and vineyards and into the Black Forest. For dinner you are treated to a Farm-to-Table experience at a local restaurant with locally sourced ingredients, skillfully prepared and accompanied with wine. (Breakfast / Dinner with Wine)|
Steigenberger Hotel Stadt Lorrach.
|Day 7||Rothenburg ob der Tauber||Medieval Rothenburg ob der Tauber.: The Black Forest is the land of cherry cake and cuckoo clocks, where traditional farmhouses dip their thatched roofs almost to the ground. Continue on to Nuremberg, renowned for its medieval architecture. Admire the charming blend of stone and timbered dwellings in the Old Town, see the massive ramparts, most of which are still standing. Venture to Rothenburg ob der Tauber, the best-preserved town on the Romantic Road. Plunge back into the 16th century during your orientation with your Travel Director as you walk through narrow cobbled streets lined with high-gabled houses to the market square, dominated by its Renaissance town hall. With an artisan baker, enjoy a demonstration and learn about the history of the traditional pastry Schneeballen (snowball), followed by a tasting. Spend the rest of the day at your leisure for further exploration. For your Dine-Around Evening, choose from a hand-picked selection of restaurants within the walls of the Old Town. (Breakfast / Dinner with Wine)|
Hotel Eisenhut, Rothenburg ob der Tauber.
|Day 8||Mainz||The University City of Heidelberg and Mainz.: Stop to meet locals who still make cuckoo clocks by hand, a tradition passed down over 300 years. Then head through the valleys, where villages and isolated farms nestle beside fast-flowing streams, before travelling north to Heidelberg. Visit Heidelberg Palace, or Heidelberger Schloss in German, one of the world's most impressive palace ruins, synonymous with the Romantic Movement. Venture inside to see the Heidelberg Tun, a gigantic wine vat built into the building's cellar in 1591 and able to hold 130,000 litres. Hear its associated tales of the dwarf court jester, Perkeo. Spend time in the vast and insightful Apothecary Museum, before marvelling at the panoramic vistas of the city and Neckar Valley from the castle fortress. Your hotel is in the nearby town of Mainz, a bustling and important town since the time of the Romans. (Breakfast)|
Hilton Mainz/Hilton Mainz City.
|Day 9||Mainz||Castles of the Rhine Experience.: Begin the day with a relaxing cruise past steep-sided vineyards, half-timbered taverns, hilltop castles and the infamous Lorelei Rock. Alight at Boppard and continue to Koblenz where a gigantic equestrian statue of Wilhelm I guards the junction of the Rhine and Moselle. Have your camera ready as you return along the eastern bank. Enjoy the scenic views from the mighty Niederwald Monument. In the evening, round off your German experience with a farewell Celebration Dinner overlooking the River Rhine, complete with local wine. Prost! (Breakfast / Dinner with Wine)|
Hilton Mainz/Hilton Mainz City.
|Day 10||Frankfurt||Auf Wiedersehen Frankfurt.: Your journey comes to an end after breakfast with departure transfers arriving at Frankfurt airport at 08:00 and 10:00. (Breakfast)|
- Notes: This is a 2020 Preview itinerary. Please refer to the Preview booking conditions page for full terms and conditions.
- These prices are correct at the time of the website going live, however are subject to confirmation at the time of booking.
- All tour information is correct at time of tours going live, however is subject to change, please confirm all details at time of booking.
- For full terms and conditions, please refer to our Conditions page.
- Hotel Class Key: D: Deluxe SF: Superior First Class F: First Class